Upper Elementary consists of 4th and 5th Grade Students.
Upper Elementary students take one course in each of the major disciplines each year: language arts, reading, mathematics, science and social studies. They also enjoy courses in world cultures, the arts, technology, STEM and physical education/health.
We are excited to announce that we have 1:1 technology using laptops in fourth and fifth grades. This technology is used throughout the curriculum to enhance learning. In addition, students in 4th and 5th grades follow the National Technology Standards Scope and Sequence.
The Upper Elementary Curriculum is designed to bring about an increased level of investment in academics by students.
Instruction is based on developing not only connections to the material, but also by creating ways for students to expand the skills needed to advance toward successful academic careers.
4th Grade Specifics:
- Although students are tested and graded in social studies during the 1st and 3rd quarters and in science during the 2nd and 4th quarters, these areas are explored throughout the year.
- Students participate in the History Fair.
5th Grade Specifics:
- Students get their first look at choosing an exploratory class with the middle school. During the exploratory class students have the option to choose from several interesting and engaging topics.
- Students participate in Science Fair. During the first quarter students will learn the different aspects of the scientific method and how to apply that to their science fair project.
- Students participate in Enterprise Village. Enterprise Village is a program designed to teach the principals of economics in a free enterprise system.